Students may declare the social work major at any time. Admission to advanced standing in the Department of Social Work and field education requires that students:
• Have attained junior status;
• Have a 2.25 or higher overall GPA;
• Complete or be enrolled in SOWO 10833, 30803, 30833, 30843, 30853, 30863 and 30883.
• Have a 2.5 GPA in social work and a “C” or better in all SOWO courses; and
• Make written application and receive faculty approval based on the application and a student-faculty conference (Junior Evaluation) to evaluate readiness for field education. Field Education may be postponed or denied if the faculty finds the student insufficiently prepared or lacking required knowledge, skills or values.
The mission of the TCU Department of Social Work BSW Program is “to prepare ethical and competent generalist social worker practitioners who promote human rights and economic and social justice in the global community.” This mission reflects and flows from the university mission, the college mission, and the Department mission. This mission is in the BSW Program Handbook.
Social Work majors who plan to pursue Departmental Honors must be members of the Honors College and should enroll in SOWO 30003 during the spring semester of their junior year and SOWO 40003 during the fall semester of their senior year.
Students may undertake an interdisciplinary program with a double major in Social Work and another major, even when different degrees are involved (BA and BS). Programs such as Social Work and Religion Studies, Social Work and Psychology, and others require faculty advisers in both fields to coordinate course and degree planning.
Most core curriculum and related coursework from accredited universities will transfer. However, all courses used to satisfy the cultural awareness, global awareness, or citizenship and social values components of the TCU Core Curriculum must be taken at TCU. Social work courses from CSWE- accredited social work programs will be accepted toward the social work degree.